Top 5 Trends to watch out for in Serverless Computing
There is a constant transformation in the cloud for crafting scalable, reliable, and robust environments for running applications. To pace up with the rising demands of the consumers and offering an optimal end-user experience, every improvement in cloud technology is worth considering.
Consumers around the globe are looking for fast and robust applications that will have a wide reach. Therefore, leading cloud consulting and application development companies are racing to offer world-class cloud services to design, deploy, and maintain applications. The global cloud computing market is estimated to grow to USD 832.1 billion by 2025 at a CAGR of 17.5%. Such an increasing number in cloud adoption has given rise to the need for scalability.
Serverless became mainstream and started gaining attention for building future-proof and ad-hoc scalable applications. Serverless gained traction with the increase in popularity of Amazon Web Servers(AWS), Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Provider (GCP).
Serverless offered nano services or functions that provided more flexibility to developers to create and maintain applications easily. Serverless architecture paved a way for your services to automatically scale up and down according to the user requests. Therefore, serverless itself became a popular trend in the industry to shape the cloud landscape.
Serverless architecture is highly adopted in the industry to offer reliable, robust, and scalable applications. Therefore, you need to watch out for the trends in serverless to leverage the full potential of this avant-garde technology.
When you want to host a software application on the internet, it requires:
- A virtual or physical server provisioning and management
- Managing operating system
- Web server hosting processes
With the increase in application development processes, there is a tremendous shift from DevOps to serverless computing, resulting in the growth and adoption of FaaS. The global FaaS market is estimated to generate $24.00 billion by 2026 with a CAGR of 29.7% from 2020 to 2026.
With FaaS, you can put your entire focus on individual functions in the application code as these requisites are automatically handled by the cloud-service provider.
In a nutshell, FaaS is a service that eliminates the use of complex infrastructure while executing complex codes associated with crafting and deploying microservice-based applications.
Benefits of FaaS:
If you’re looking to migrate applications on cloud, FaaS is an efficient and cost-effective tool to serve this purpose.
- Eliminates the worry about infrastructure- Dramatically reduces time-to-market by dividing the server into functions that scales automatically and independently, eliminating the infrastructure management.
- Pay-per-use- You pay only for the resources you use. Once it’s done, there is no code or server running. This makes FaaS cost-effective even for high-load scenarios.
- High scaling capabilities- FaaS enables automatic, independent, and instant scaling up or down as per the need.
- Availability- FaaS is highly available as it is spread across widely and can be deployed in multiple regions, that too without any incremental costs.
Hybrid Cloud Computing
There is a constant pressure on the organizations for rapid innovations, increase in agility, and process automation for appeasing customers. For the continued survival of enterprises, migration to cloud and leveraging the benefits of cloud services has become imperative.
A hybrid cloud is a mix of on-premise, private cloud, and third-party cloud services with orchestration between these platforms. Moreover, this IT infrastructure offers application portability to get a unified, scalable, and flexible cloud environment for managing workloads.
Hybrid cloud is an opportunity for organizations with on-premise infrastructure and that are looking for optimizing operations. The global hybrid cloud market is forecasted to grow at a CAGR of 17.8% by 2028. By leveraging the benefits of speed and flexibility, organizations are all set to resolve the complications and craft a streamlined process.
Benefits of hybrid cloud computing
There are significant benefits of hybrid cloud adoption that organizations are looking forward to leverage.
- Enhanced productivity- Provisions for Agile and DevOps adoption to enable developers to develop only once and deploy to all clouds.
- Efficiency- Enables faster migration of legacy applications, reducing the technical load.
- Cost-effective- Optimizes spending across public and private cloud services and cloud vendors by offering granular control over resources.
- Optimized regulatory compliance and security- Implementing consistent compliance and world-class cloud security across all the environments.
- Accelerating business- Hybrid cloud computing offers shorter development cycles. shorter time-to-market, innovative procedures, faster integration, and faster delivery of applications.
Today, every organization is planning to get into the bandwagon of adopting serverless architecture for their applications. There is a paradigm shift in the way how the data is secured in serverless applications. This has brought some new challenges to existence.
Visibility- With the adoption of serverless architecture for your applications, there is an increase in the data and resources. This increase in information every day poses a challenge for recognizing patterns and value for true observability.
Resource Management- With the increase in resources, there is an increase in the permission for managing these resources, further making it difficult to identify permissions for each interaction.
Observability- To understand the potential areas of attacks and the associated risks, there must be an in-depth view of your entire serverless ecosystem. As serverless apps acquire various services from multiple cloud providers, across different versions and regions, the observability of the application becomes challenging.
Benefits of serverless adoption for securing your application data
- Patch management: The adoption of serverless shifts the responsibility of servers, operating systems, and other software components from the application owner to the cloud service provider. The cloud providers patch all the software components time-to-time to protect the software from vulnerabilities.
- No compromise with the server: When you work in a FaaS environment, you are unaware of the server assignment for the function execution. The platform provides and rolls back servers as per the need. Once the function is executed, the servers are immediately destroyed.
Moreover, malicious software needs a lot of time to gain information. With a FaaS environment, a function is short-lived and stateless, therefore eliminating the server compromisation at any given point in time.
- Resistance to (Denial-of-Service) DoS: The DoS attack takes down a server by complying with a large volume of memory-intensive actions. FaaS servers are provided as per the need and then immediately disposed of. This creates a fast-moving target and is difficult to attack.
The area of the Internet of Things (IoT) has undergone a major industry disruption. The global IoT market is forecasted to reach USD 1463.19 billion by 2027 with a CAGR of 24.9%.
The role of IoT in industry transformation is undeniable, especially in data-driven environments. For adopting IoT rapidly, manufacturers are providing high-end devices and IoT platforms at a low cost to enable seamless device integration and management.
Benefits of serverless IoT
- Scalability- If your application is dealing with expansion or restriction of operations, then serverless is apt as it offers greater flexibility.
- Shorter time-to-market- Serverless architecture offers faster deployment of IoT applications with little resources as per the need.
- Cost-effective- Serverless provides a pay-per-use model where businesses don’t need to invest in extra servers for handling an estimated workload.
- Eliminating overhead costs- Serverless architecture’s capability for patch management, offloading security, and networking eliminates the overhead costs.
Serverless on Kubernetes
Kubernetes is an open-source, container technology for automating the deployment, scaling, and management of containerized applications by increasing the developers’ velocities and decreasing complexities.
Serverless on Kubernetes is a portable solution and will enable applications to run anywhere where Kubernetes runs. Serverless enables developers to use cloud-native infrastructure to ease deployment, monitoring and running of these applications. Serverless frees the developers from the worry of deploying nodes or virtual machines.
Kubernetes helps in simplifying the developer and operator experience by creating matured solutions for serverless. Popular containers such as Azure, AWS Fargate, and Knative simplifies the development, serving, and eventing of cloud-native applications.
The key role of Kubernetes is the automation of manual tasks such as container deployment and scaling and this will continue to grow for end-to-end applications to automate and simplify deployment, scaling, and management. Kubernetes has a widespread adoption touching 91% out of which 75% is adopted by production environments.
Benefits of Kubernetes
- Portability and flexibility-Portable enough to seamlessly work with any underlying infrastructure such as public cloud, private cloud, or on-premise server.
- Multi-cloud capability- Potential to scale across multiple clouds to manage workloads
- Increased productivity- Faster deployment and scaling due to declarative constructs and ops friendly approach
In a nutshell
Cloud computing has played a major role in the remote workforce and global supply chains in this pandemic situation. The technology advancement in the cloud has paved the way for serverless computing due to its potential to offer enhanced scalability, business & workflow stability, and cost-efficient solutions. With top high-end potential development trends in serverless such as FaaS, Serverless IoT, Kubernetes, organizations can accord themselves by embracing these trends with massive benefits that adhere to serverless computing. Get in touch with a leading cloud application development company that would help you to leverage the benefits of these trends for your business operations.